Followers

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Funky Winkerbean

I don't usually read the newspaper on a regular basis, so I am not up on all the serial comic strips. But the past couple of days my husband has been showing me the Funky Winkerbean strip. It is the saddest ever. Lisa is dying of cancer. It is a comic strip that is not funny, but incredibly real and so sad that it makes me sob.
Lisa is dealing with a recurrence of breast cancer and is losing her battle.
Check it out
Go to Lisa's Legacy Fund and check out the blog, a very heart felt view about using the comics to support cancer patients and to help fund research.
Well done.
Riding to work on Wednesday morning I was noticing how beautiful the leaves looked. The peak of the season is upon us and it is a glorious sight. I then remembered the Winkerbean comic from yesterday and that in the strip Lisa had gone blind and was asking if the leaves were changing colors. I started to cry. It reminded me that we can never ever take today or any day for granted. I know that. I have learned that lesson many, many, times over the years. So once again I remember and take the time to appreciate the things that seem little, but in reality are very big when they are taken away from us.

5 comments:

Rummy said...

I've been reading the strip too. My 28 year old girlfriend is just finishing chemo for BC and is starting radiation soon. It's been hard to read because I can't help being afraid that she'll get a recurrence someday and choose not to be treated. It's something I don't want to think about.

But I appreciate Tom Batiuk doing that story. I understand why some people are upset, but I feel if everyone acts like breast cancer is some okey-dokey condition that will be easily taken care of with generic sanitized treatment then it becomes easy for Federal Funding to dry up and for people to not donate to Race For the Cure etc.

SOUL said...

i'll have to check it out some other time..i can't do sad at bed time.
g'nite.

SOUL said...

hi.. :))
happy thursday

Bill said...

I've noticed that some people are quite upset that this is a comic strip topic, but it is quite powerful and far more moving that one would expect in the funny papaers. It is certainly quite unforgettable and carries more of a punch than the usual lighter and fluffier stuff. Batuik has taken the newspaper comic strip to a new place (although others have dealt with death, but not in such a devastating way). When I read it, I suspend my realization that Lisa Moore is a comic strip character and tear up each morning as I read it. That is art.

SOUL said...

still avoiding sad.
but i'll get there. sounds like a good read... but on a really good day. i guess. or would that be a really bad day? hmm. maybe it doesn't matter..and maybe i'll just go look at it.
latah