Followers

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Week end wrap up

It is getting chilly out and it is the perfect weather for a nice big pot of home made chicken soup. I have been reading my new issue of The SUN magazine while my soup is boiling on the stove top. A whole chicken, diced tomatoes, celery, onion, carrots and oregano. And I have my water just starting to boil for the orzo.
I love to get a new issue of the The SUN magazine and love when it comes on a weekend when I have the time to sit and devour it. I first go to the correspondence, then flip past the articles deciding which one I will go back to first, and then straight to the Readers Write pages. Every issue there is a topic that readers are asked to write in on and they are always very moving and powerful. My intent on getting the magazine was to try to write in on a topic, but so far have not been disciplined enough to do so. This month the topic is Airports, and not being a traveler I didn't really have a story in me about them. Next month is Patriotism...hmmmm...maybe I will shoot for January's topic, Now or Never. I like that one the best.
Yesterday we went to see, Into the Wild at the movies. Sean Penn directed a brilliantly artistic movie with a compelling story. It is the from the book, Into the Wild, about Christopher Mccandless, a college graduate who gave up his money, family, and ties to society to live in the wild to find happiness and a deeper meaning of life. The movie was long, it sort of needed to be to tell the story. It wasn't the type of movie I had in mind for a rainy depressing kind of day that yesterday turned out to be, but it sure made me think and sparked much discussion in the house. I spent some time googling him today to find out more information, and read more articles about his journey. I mostly came away with how sorry I felt for his parents that they had no idea where he was for two years. In that respect what he did was so selfish, but who knows what was really going on in his mind.
It is Sunday and that means family day at my parents' house. My mother made her usual tomato sauce and pasta, but it was sweeter than ever today. She also made her famous chicken cutlets and salad. Both my sisters were there with their families and my aunt and it was a typical family Sunday dinner, and I so longed for it today.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Oh, the wonderful sounding food! You've made me so hungry. All I've had is a frozen chicken medallion meal which was tasty, but nothing like you've described.

I am very interesting in that movie, Into the Wild. Seeing that is something I have longed to do for so long. I don't think my parents would miss me though -- being glad they were rid of me! lol

Enjoying the blog and don't give up. I will be sure to help promote it in the next day or so. Let's see if we can't get you up some more comments! Take care!

Your friend,

Jonathon Andrew