Followers

Friday, January 21, 2011

Dinner for two

Home for another snow day. Our 4th in 2 weeks! Lots of snow and ice hitting our state this year. But of all the snow storms, this one isn't dropping too much snow on us and seems to be winding down already. And most of all, the sun is now shining! Maybe we won't be shut in all day after all!

I had dinner last night with a friend from my home town. We weren't real close growing up, but in high school she dated the brother of my best friend and we got to know each other then. I have only run into her twice since graduation 40 years ago, but when I friended her on Facebook, I knew that she would be someone that I would want to connect with in person. Luckily she felt the same way.

There is something about being with someone from your childhood. Of course there are the memories, but being with someone who knows your history, your family and remembers events and people that you have long forgotten has a very healing effect on me. I was beside myself with happiness being with her last night.

She is now a widow, and she shared that very sad chapter of her life, but she seems to be moving forward and doing well.

We sat in the restaurant for 2 and a half hours and would have stayed longer if the place wasn't clearing out.

When she asked me how long I have been married, I told her it would be 36 years in May. She said she would give anything to be able to say that she had been married for so long. It made my eyes fill up with tears for her, and made me realize that as much as I try to appreciate each day, I am not as present as I want to be.

It was a good night for memories, to reconnect, to reflect, and just appreciate everything good in my life.

4 comments:

Forsythia said...

As you say, it's so wonderful to get together with someone who knows your story.

Josie Two Shoes said...

This sounds like such a lovely evening together. Nothing is nicer than spending time catching up wit a friend! And yes, we tend to take those around us for granted. I remind myself each day how blessed I am to have this wonderful husband that loves me. Treasure the moments and make happy memories!

KathyA said...

I, too, have a couple of childhood friends with whom I'm still in contact. You're right..there is something so comforting, so safe about sharing that connection.

Cheryl said...

We're so lucky to have friends that know our history. I have two good friends from high school, and a cousin who were friends then and friends now.

Friends are hard to find. Will you keep up with this old friend now that you've reconnected?