Followers

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My Music Man

Tonight my husband's radio show is on the air. He is currently volunteering at a local college radio station. He really enjoys this as he originally majored in TV-Radio when he was in college and had his own show then. When he graduated from college there were no jobs to be had in the field and he ended up in social services. Now retired, he is free to return to his passion. And passion it is as he knows so much about music and so many obscure artists. His show is a blend of acoustic Americana and Folk music.

It is a big commitment though. He had to train and take the test and now he has to attend station meetings and do community service hours for the station. But it is the perfect situation for him.

So when I can, I tune in and listen to him when I am working on the computer or doing something where I am staying put near the radio. If he knows I am listening he will play a favorite song of mine and give me a shout out. Reminds me of the days way back when we were first married and he was working at Ithaca College radio station.

A friend of ours has tried for years to break into the music business, but it never worked out for him. He has recorded many CD's and written all the songs hoping for his big break. My husband was able to play one of his songs one evening and our friend happened to be listening. He was thrilled beyond belief. His wife took the play list off of the station website and framed it. While playing the song did not afford him the big break he has been in search of, it sure made him happy.

I think it is cool that my husband can make people's dreams come true by just playing their music.

So every week he is supposed play 4 new artists and he spends the week listening to all the new CD's that come his way and then plays what he likes. The artists usually check the play lists and write him a thank you note as they are very grateful for the airtime. Maybe someone he is introducing will be a big star some day.

One never knows.

4 comments:

KathyA said...

How exciting for you both! I met my husband when he was a dj at our college radio station and I was a programmer. What a coincidence!

Josie Two Shoes said...

I love this Lena! Not only that your husband is finally getting to do his dream job, and has the opportunity to pass on that good luck to some new artists who will indeed be pleased, but also that you enjoy listening in and being his biggest fan. I like marriages like that... where the loves still blooms! :-)

Forsythia said...

Your husband sounds like a man of many talents. How nice to be able to revisit an old dream in retirement.

Jamie said...

How completely interesting and awesome! I love reading about the lives of others, such wonderful things are discovered, things that often we have never even thought of!

You sound good and I like that you are writing more. AND I LOVE THAT PIC of the winter scene...

Hugs, friend. :)