Followers

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Times gone by

We are heading out in a couple of hours to a wake of a young man who grew up across the street from us. I am nervous about going. I can't imagine the pain the family is in. All the paper said is that he died peacefully in his sleep - at age 22. We have heard some rumors, but who knows what is really the truth. All that matters is their beloved son is gone.

My son used to play with him just about every day when they were little. My son is a little older than he was, but he did better with younger kids than he did with his peers at the time, so it was good relationship for him. And the boy looked up to my son, which was a nice older brother kind of thing for him. They moved away when the boy was in middle school as the parents were divorcing and we have not seen the family since. My son recently connected with him some on Facebook, but hadn't seen him. But still the bond from those early years are strong.

Last night we watched Toy Story 3. My son has been recommending it for awhile saying how great it was and how the storyline was so touching. So my husband ordered it on Netflix. I have to say, it was much better than I expected. The animation was just amazing and the script very well written. It was very sad in some parts and a few scenes brought tears to all of our eyes, and the ending, well, that just left me sobbing.

As we were watching the movie, my son remembered how our neighbor boy had Buzz Light Year and Woody as his toys as well. That made the movie even sadder for us all.

5 comments:

KathyA said...

How awful. Those poor parents.

Carin said...

So sorry about your loss...

Yes..I love The Sun :)
I submitted for the first time in October...if it's published, it would be in the April (?) issue, but I haven't heard anything!

Love your snow pics!!! I want snow shoes!

Forsythia said...

I had a friend who lost a 16-year-old daughter years ago. It forever changed her life. I can't imagine the pain of losing a child.

Cheryl said...

I can't imagine either. So, so sad.

Jamie said...

I am sorry about your neighbor. Very sad. I hope you made it through it all okay. Those poor parents will have a lifetime of grieving.

Monday again. Bleh. :)