Followers

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Scans and scans

It has been busy the past couple of weeks with tests that my surgeon and oncologist have ordered to see if the cancer has spread to other parts of my body. Last week I had a bi-lateral MRI for my breasts. It was my first experience in a closed MRI machine. I was very nervous about doing it as I am on the anxious and claustrophobic side.

I had to focus really hard to keep myself calm (on top of taking a mild sedative)by saying prayers and thinking all positive thoughts. But I did it! I never had to press the panic button and I stayed still. I was on my stomach with my head down so I didn't have to see where I was and I thought that helped me some.

This week I was scheduled for a brain scan, bone scan and CAT scan all on the same day. All the tests involved getting dye injections and the CAT scan also included a mixture I had to drink. I was nervous about doing all the tests on one day, as I was getting confused with all the directions.

A relative of mine is a nurse and she told me not to dare have all those tests on one day as it would too much stress. So I called and I was able to reschedule the CAT scan on another day. I found that machine easy. Drinking the mixture wasn't too bad.

When I went for the CAT scan I had an opportunity to see the brain scan and bone scan machines. Now these two machines made me a bit uncomfortable. For one I would be face up this time and I thought that would be harder. The brain scan had a coil mask that they put your head in to keep it still. (it was open, but it was still creepy) Even though they called it an open MRI, it still had the tube that my head would be going into with the mask on my head.

The bone scan machine had a huge camera that would move over my entire body for 25 minutes. I didn't think I would enjoy that camera when it was directly over my face.

I really wanted to get through these tests without getting panicky. So I decided to bring my sleep mask that I wear to bed every night and put it over my eyes. I decided what I couldn't see would not bother me. So I laid down on the brain scan table, and said, "good-night, girls" to the techs and pulled my sleep mask over my eyes. I visualized myself laying in my bed at home. The scan took 25 minutes. They pulled me out of the machine and unhooked me and then I took off my sleep mask. I never even saw the coil mask that they had put my head in.

So I did the same thing with the bone scan and wore my sleep mask. When the camera was directly over my face it was very dark and it moved very slowly. But again, I just visualized I was laying on my bed and thought positive thoughts and said prayers so I could relax.

As the machine moved passed my shoulders, I could see some light coming through under the mask, and I knew it had passed my head. The tech told me that it had moved, but I knew it before she said it.

The tech thought using a sleep mask was a great idea and she said she wanted to get some to keep in the department for other patients. I hope she follows through and does that because it is a small thing that made an unpleasant experience so much easier!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I hate all the scans and MRI's. I have never had a couple that you talk about but I have had a zillion MRI's - and will have two more next week. You do get used to the creepiness. How are you doing? When do you get the results of the tests? Hang in, feel well, keep up the visualization - I have never tried that either but it sounds like it works really well for you. Visualize the cancer shrinking..shrinking..shrinking. It can't hurt, for sure. Happy Thursday. Big hugs. :)

Cheryl said...

I'm so glad that your tests are over, and impressed that you found a way to ease the stress of them. Great idea! Can I say ditto to what Jamie said? Visualize that cancer going away. Know that I'm thinking about you...

KathyA said...

Good thinking. That's really ingenious!

I've had frequent CT scans taken w/ and w/o contrast. You're right -- that stuff isn't too bad to drink.

Keep us posted on the results. Thinking of you a lot!