Followers

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Speak up

When I was scheduled for my biopsy, I was trying to mentally prepare for it. When I would try to visualize what I expected to happen, I found that I couldn't quite conjure up a picture in my head. I had stories from other women so I sort of knew what to expect and I had a brochure to look at,(which was never offered until I asked for it) but it wasn't enough for me.

I called the radiology center and asked them if I could come in get a tour of the room and get more information on the procedure. The nurse on the phone was wonderful, she said that would be no problem and to call back on Friday afternoon when the room was not being occupied.

My husband came along with me, and had he not, he would have never seen the room the day of the procedure, as they just call you in and get you going. No time for husbands when it is busy. It was good for him to have information about where I was and what equipment they were using on me while he waited.

So we went in and I saw the room, the machine, the vacuum, and the titanium markers. I felt so much better when I could think about the procedure and know every detail and picture exactly where I would be and what the room looked like. I wanted to see just how small those markers actually were before they put them inside of me. Some places don't even tell the patient ahead of time, the surgeons tell them what they are going to do just as they are about to do it.

So just a suggestion, if you are like me and like to be prepared, don't hesitate to ask for a tour. In most cases they won't offer it, as what they do becomes so routine to the medical staff that they forget it is all brand new to the patient.

6 comments:

Josie Two Shoes said...

I love how proactive you are being as you approach this Lena, I am learning from you, we all are. The more we know when we are facing something, the better prepared we are to deal with it. And you were so wise to include your husband, often their fears go unaddressed. Sending lots of positive energy your way!

Jamie said...

Yes, I agree with Jos - it does help alot to be prepared and we are all learning with you. I know this will be okay, but I sincerely wish you didn't have to go through all of it.

Big hugs friend. Big hugs. :)

KathyA said...

Glad you spoke and looked after your needs.
Keep us posted -- I'm honored to be on this journey with you.

forsythia said...

I'm with you. I like to know ahead of time, but ordinarily I would be afraid to "bother" people. Such foolishness. When a time like this comes for me, I won't hesitate to follow your example.

Smitty said...

I am so impressed by how GENTLY you move around obstacles so you can better imagine your way to successful treatment. Yours is a powerful example to me. If only I could advocate for myself in advance of my mental health crises, which seem to come on unannounced like a powerful flood.

Doctors are better able to help patients who are so proactive and positive as you are being!

Cheryl said...

How smart of you to do this, and to include your husband in the process. Like the others said, I'm so glad to be with you on your journey, though it's one I wish you didn't have to take.