Followers

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Saturday update

My surgery is scheduled for Monday around 10:30 A.M. I have to get an injection for the lymph node biopsy, and they have to insert a wire to lead the surgeon to the titanium markers before they send me off to the operating room.

I haven't really been thinking too much about the procedure this week. I am accepting that this part of the process is just the beginning and will probably be the easiest one to get through. I have so many people praying for me that it is overwhelming. I am so grateful to have so many friends, family, and blogger friends keeping me in their thoughts and prayers and lifting me up.

My sister in law does Shape Note singing and will be at a concert this weekend. She said that there is a part of the program where they sing and pray for people who require healing. She will be putting my name in the mix and there will be 80-100 people of all religions singing and praying for me. I burst into grateful tears when I read that message from her.

Thank you does not seem to be enough to say to people, but I just have to say THANK YOU!

CANCER COORDINATOR

I met with the cancer coordinator on Thursday after an EKG and a Lymph node fluid test. The nurse explained more of the lumpectomy procedure to me and showed me the drain and how to clean it. Hopefully, I won't have to go home with one.

I asked her if the hospital has Reiki volunteers and she said that they don't, but she would be available to me and would come and give me Reiki during my chemo treatments. I thought that was awesome and I know it will be one thing that will help me relax.

Years ago, I took classes in Therapeutic Touch just for my own personal use. Reiki seems to be more well known now, but they work on the same principle of getting the unblocked energy in your body to flow to relax you and boost your immune system.

I also signed up for an Art therapy evening class. I thought I would try it. I am creative, but not much of an artist, yet I love art and I thought it would be a good component of my treatment plan. I tend to eat up this kind of thing.

There is so much research now on the Mind/Body/Spirit connection and hospitals are offering them to help people restore their health. Again, I am lucky that my timing is just right.

MAKE LOVE NOT WAR

I was talking to my therapist the other day and telling her that I am having trouble with the idea of visualizing fighting cancer cells. I am opposed to war and to think of myself as a soldier fighting this disease seems against everything I believe in.

So she asked me what I see. Instead I said that I can visualize myself talking to the cancer and asking it why it is here and what does it want to teach me? I will ask if I can offer it a cup of tea, and maybe we can work something out.

6 comments:

Jamie said...

None of this is funny - I know, but the visual of you bargaining with your cancer over tea made me giggle. Whatever it takes, you will be triumphant. I know it. Like all the others, I will be praying for you on Monday. Lots of hugs. Seriously. Jamie

Heart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lena said...

That is OK Jamie! We were laughing when I was talking to her.

Humor is sooo important!!

Thanks for everything...hugs, Lena

Forsythia said...

I would have no trouble picturing myself punching cancer in the jaw. It takes a special lady to serve tea to someone she would just have soon not met. Thinking and praying for you, esp. on Monday. I am not Catholic, but our grandson attends a Catholic school and on Monday, about that time, I will be at the church when the kids crown the Virgin Mary with flowers. I will light a candle for you.

Cheryl said...

I thought of you today...I hope your procedure wasn't painful. I can picture fighting your cancer. Those are the thoughts I'm sending your way. I'm not much for tea :))

KathyA said...

You are amazing!!

I'd never thought about visualizing the cancer before now. How interesting. I need to think on this, though. No offering of tea, though. I can more see myself as saying, "You are not welcome here."