Followers

Friday, June 17, 2011

Detour

When I had my chemo, I had some issues that made the oncologist recommend that I see my GI doctor which I did on Thursday. He wants me to have a colonoscopy to rule out colon cancer. That is the LAST thing I want to do or wanted to hear. And then I thought, so what if I did have colon cancer, then what? I am already on chemo. The doctor explained how I would have to be treated in between the treatments for breast cancer.

I could not listen to him and I told him so. I guess I was being rude, but I really, really, could not handle it. The way he was going on like some robot. In that moment I felt like I wanted to give up on everything. My attitude sucked and I didn't want to work on it. I was feeling scared.

He said he was going to speak to my oncologist and get back to me.

The rest of the visit did not go well. The doctor said some inappropriate and creepy things to me. I think he was trying to humiliate me. By the time I left, I could not look him in the eye because he sickened me. And I could not speak, I felt traumatized.

The last words he said was, "Don't worry, we will get you through this." Well, HE WON'T BE GETTING ME THROUGH ANYTHING! I will NOT be going back to him and I will tell him exactly why.

When I was driving home from the appointment, I wondered what my husband or my friends would say. Right then and there I decided what they said or thought didn't matter. I felt awful and I would not be returning to that practice. But as it stands my husband and the 2 other friends I told thought it was very disturbing and unprofessional as well.

I am sorry I can't share. Too disgusting to write.

Today I am back to myself, I will do what ever i need to do to look after myself and get well. I always need time to let bad news or disappointment sink in and then I can rally.

I am going to be very busy looking for a new doctor.

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Lena--what on earth would cause this man to act that way? Doctors are supposed to be our advocates, not tear us down. I am so sorry. And seriously, they are now looking for colon cancer? No way. No way do you have that.

When will the colonoscopy be done? Please keep me posted. Big hugs. Really.

forsythia said...

Sorry you had to have a close encounter with a total jerk. However, a routine colonoscopy every five years or so is normal at my age; I don't know about yours. There's a screening test you can take at home to find "occult blood" that another doctor might recommend to see if you really need a colonoscopy at this time. (I used to get a "bad" result often, because I used to take too much aspirin to control migraines, which caused GI bleeding. I've had more than my share of colonoscopies. ANYWAY, when doctors insist on a certain test, I often wonder if they are trying to pay off the mortgage on the latest equipment purchase.

Lena said...

YES, Forsythia! I thought the same thing that he was looking for $$$ as he brought up the colonoscopy first thing when I called him on the phone before he knew all the details or saw me.

Then he said, "I didn't have colonoscopy as the first thing on my mind when I walked into the room." HA

I am not doubting that ruling something out is a good thing. Just the timing is so poor. The oncology nurse did not think it was good to do it now.

I will have to look into that test! Never heard of it!

Lena said...

Jamie, I think I offended him. I don't think he appreciated my attitude.

I was speaking up.

Josie Two Shoes said...

Arrrggghhh! Like you don't have enough stress, worry and issues to deal with right now without a butthead doctor making things worse and treating you badly. This definitely cries out for a second opinion and maybe a call to the Medical Board as well! Any doctor with half a brain or heart would realize you are dealing with a heavy load and don't need crap piled on, to walk carefully and think twice before speaking. I am so glad you ARE speaking up. You have to take care of you first and foremost. You are blessed to have a husband and friends who support you all the way. Someday far down the road you will look back on this time as just a hazy memory you are glad is long gone! HUGS

KathyA said...

Report what he said, and in the context he said it, to your primary and to your oncologist.

Your instincts are good ones; don't doubt yourself.