Followers

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Hair today


This week I am scheduled for a full week of work. No treatment until next week. I am feeling completely back to normal and it feels so awesome!

The next thing I am preparing for is losing my hair. I picked up my wig on Saturday and it is in my room waiting for when I need it.

From what people say and what I read, I know many people find it difficult to deal with the hair loss. I have not had it on my mind too much. I am preparing for it, but I haven't spent a good deal of time worrying or dreading it. With that said, I have no idea how it will feel when I actually lose it all. I am curious now to see how I will react.

My dresser is directly in front of my bed with a huge mirror. When I sit up in bed, the first thing I see is myself in the mirror. I know that maybe I won't want to see a bald me first thing in the morning, so I have been taping up all my get well cards on the mirror. So when I wake up and sit up in bed, I see the cards of good wishes first thing. This will work just fine when my hair is gone.

When I went wig shopping I was thinking of getting a different hair color for fun or getting 2 wigs, one my natural gray and then one color. But when I went to try on the wigs, I realized that I wanted the gray one and only that one. I decided I didn't enjoy a new look. When she put the gray wig on me and I looked just like myself, I got a bit choked up. It felt so right and comfortable. I think I have enough changes going on in my life right now on so many levels, that all I wanted was a wig that would keep me looking like me.

When my niece walked in to see me, she didn't even know that I had a wig on. That is how perfect the color and the style is to my own hair.

The stylist was wonderful. She was very knowledgeable and so kind. She was involved with the passing of a bill in our state that allows insurance coverage for wigs for medical hair loss a few years back. An activist and stylist!

I feel like everyone on my team is so special.

3 comments:

Diana said...

You sure have a way with words. I never thought of it like that but that makes so much sense to just want to look like yourself. You have a great attitude which is SO very important going through a life changing event such as this. You will be just fine! I am very glad you are feeling well today. Have a great tomorrow as well!

Cheryl said...

Yes, you do have a great attitude. I feel like I'm going through the process with you, but I wonder if my attitude would be as good? I hope to never find out.

I love the idea that given the choice, you want to look just like YOU!

KathyA said...

The wig is beautiful! And you're right -- so many of us have such a hard time with the hair loss -- I'm not certain why except it's such a visible form of our health.

The idea of putting the cards on the mirror is a fantastic one!!