Followers

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Ring them bells

Thursday was my second round of chemotherapy. It went a little smoother the second time around now that we knew the drill.
In the treatment room is a bell with a little poem on it that you get to ring when you are done with your treatments.

I was talking to a woman on Thursday who I met on my first round and she was told me it was her last treatment day. So I said to her, "Oh, you get to ring the bell today!" She said she wasn't sure she was going to do it. So I asked her why? She said that she didn't want to bother anyone.

In my head I thought it was so sad. That is something many of us women do. We can't bother people and have our own needs and desires. No, that is not for us. I have been there, I know how that works. Not self nurturing at all.

So I told her that last month when I was there for my first round and another woman was having her last round, I was inspired and hopeful when she rang the bell. My friend smiled said she felt the same way. I was glad she had the same experience as me and wondered if that would help her to rethink it.

So I continued and said, "I cannot wait to ring that bell and you best be damn sure that I am going to ring it more than 3 times. I am ringing it once for every freaking round! "

We laughed, we chatted about other things for awhile and then I strolled back to my chair to rest.

I kept my eye on her all day wondering what she would decide to do when she left. And then at the end of the day, I saw her reading the poem on the bell with the nurse and I knew she changed her mind.

My husband and I got up and went over to watch and clap for her. She rang that bell way more than 3 times with a huge, happy smile on her face. The nurse was hugging her and handing her flowers.
She was able to walk out of there a free woman and we got to go back to our drips with a full and hopeful heart.
Good for you, survivor woman! I don't even think we ever exchanged names, but I know I won't forget you.

7 comments:

Jamie said...

You are such a kind and caring woman --- and I cannot wait until you ring that bell! I would love to be there when you do...

Have a most beautiful Sunday. Hugs. :)

Josie Two Shoes said...

What a heartwarming post, Lena! Even as you push thru your own chemo experience, you are uplifting and encouraging others around you! We will be cheering you on across the miles when it is finally your turn to ring the bell. Our prayers and love are surrounding you every step of the way! And you are so right, we women need to stop taking a back seat in life, and learn to put ourselves first now and then!

Forsythia said...

Yay for her, and yay for you for encouraging her!

Smitty said...

Shared so wonderfully. You made me smile!!!!

Smitty said...

I find it interesting that your name is Lena, which is also my mom's name...

Debra said...

What a touching post. I shall never forget the day I took my last tx of chemo. It was March 1, 1990. They sold Big Mac hamburgers in Russia for the first time. And had there been a bell to ring, I would have wore it out.

Enjoyed visiting you blog and will be back soon.

Blessings of peace & all that is good.

KathyA said...

Can't wait until I hear of your ringing that bell!!