Followers

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Becoming

You can have it all but the "it" is not what you think it is... a quote from the Oprah show.... from some famous woman.

There was much good advice on the show today from Sheryl Crow, Patti La Belle, Reba and others. Most of it I have come up upon in my every day regular folks sort of life. Funny, how famous people are still needing to learn the same life lessons, and it isn't always the lesson that comes before their grand success.

We are all in this together... more alike than different.... as I note everyday in my workplace with many people who are officially labeled as different from the norm.

Went to see the movie Hair Spray yesterday. I never saw the play and didn't know much about the plot of the story. I realized that the show made Ricki Lake a star and that it had something to do with weight.

I found the music to be so uplifting... and it really made me want to get up and dance through out the movie. Instead I could barely walk when it was time to go because the old knees get so stiff from sitting for so long.

The movie tried to make segregation, weight issues and differences in general pretty funny. Although if you ask those who are different it can be pretty painful. Beyond words painful... and the heavy girl in high school is never the star and never, ever gets the guy.

I was sitting with my friend watching the movie and thinking about how different our lives were in high school. She the one always being asked to dance at the dances in the gym, and me sitting on the side lines most of the time.

It was a million years ago... yet movies like that make it seem like yesterday.

No comments: