Followers

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Motherhood

Today was a nice day. Just sort of hung around the house and organized paperwork and things in the house and caught up on chores.

Last minute I called my sons and asked if they wanted to come over for a barbecue.

It is nice now that the boys are well into their 20's that our relationship has evolved into more of a friendship. Well, they will always be "the kids" to us and we will always have opinions and advice about their lives, hopefully only when asked for, although at times it will be unsolicited -lol.

They grew up so very fast. I wish that I could remember more of the day to day stuff, but it is hard to recall. As a mom I was working and going to school and it was so hard to juggle it all. I am thankful that I wasn't a single mom having to do it all alone, because I don't know how single moms do it.

I think deep in my heart I wanted to be a stay at home mom.. just like my mom. I was lucky that I was able to be home with the boys when they were infants and toddlers, and went to work when they entered pre-school. I know that in the end, working was a good thing for me though, so no regrets.

But I do believe with all of my heart that a mom or dad should try to be home with the infant for at least a year. It is a very rewarding experience. You can't get the time back, so it is worth every sacrifice if one of the parents can stay home with the child. But I also know that in this day and age it is a very difficult thing to do financially.

I go to Google the book I have listed below and find that it is now out of print! OK, so it was a long time ago when I raised my kids!! But the book can be had as a used book. Good interview with Ms. McBride though. I loved her book so much I wrote to her and she responded. So here is my favorite book on motherhood: The Growth and Development of Mothers, by Angela Barron McBride. http://www.mothersmovement.org/features/06/02/angela_barron_mcbride_1.html

No comments: