Followers

Saturday, August 18, 2007

John Lennon

US vs John Lennon was on tonight on VH1. Interesting to watch in hindsight. I was so young when all of that was going on and I really didn't know the scope of the situation. Brought up so many memories of the 60's personally and nationally.

Doesn't seem like things have changed that much from Nixon to Bush. If only peace could be profitable... only then would there be an end to war.

Sobbed my eyes out at the end, remembering December 8, 1980 when John died. I was sleeping in my bed and the clock radio came on with the news. I didn't say a word or move a muscle. I closed my eyes wanting to go back to sleep and pretend that I didn't hear the news and nothing happened.

Finally, my husband called my name. He knew how upset I would be, as I was a true blue Beatles' fan. That was a sad day, with everyone calling me to see how I was, and I felt weird for feeling so sad because I didn't know him in real life. But as the day unfolded and I saw the impact his death made on people from across the world, I knew it was a phenomenon beyond words. A spiritual connection.

Yoko called for 10 minutes of silence to honor him. I had never seen such a thing before. My husband and I thought about where we wanted to be and how to spend that 10 minutes. So we walked up the hill of my parent's farm in silence. When we came back we discovered that all the TV and radio stations had stopped broadcasting for the entire 10 minutes and just showed a picture of John.

Well, it is all too ironic that John won his fight to stay in the country and here is where he was assassinated.

I am glad I saw that documentary as I have been wanting to for a long time. John was a role model because he wasn't afraid to stand up for what he believed in and was not deterred when he was not taken seriously.

All we are saying .... is give peace a chance.... Still.....

No comments: