Followers

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Mangia!

It is Sunday. It is the day we visit my elderly parents and have a typical Italian pasta dinner with many of my family members. When we walk in the house and smell the sauce simmering on the stove it just whets all of our appetites!
Today she also made bracoile, which is my non-Italian husband's favorite dish.
She makes her bracoile with hamburger meat and adds ham and cheese and rolls it like a jelly roll, browns it and then cooks it in the sauce.
My mother always serves up pasta in a yellow pyrex bowl. The bowl sure seems like it has been around for a long time. I asked my mom today how old it is, and she said that the bowl is 60 years old! Boy oh boy, I am so careful when I hand wash it now, as I don't want to be the one to break a family heirloom!

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

My mother has this same bowl, I'm pretty sure. It's part of a set, and it's always been around. I'll have to let her know I want it, so she doesn't throw it away for something plastic like she did our old ice cream scoop that I loved! And Tupperware container that the coffee was always kept in. Now she says, Cheryl likes the old stuff. I guess I do!

I have started Eat Pray Love, again. I will stay with it!

Moohaa said...

I love traditions! What beautiful events for your children to remember.

I like that bowl! Makes me want to go buy a nice bowl of good value to use and pass on to my children.

Mike said...

Seeing that picture of the bowl and pasta brings back memories! We had the same bowl too, ours was green! Growing up, my mother always served pasta in it.