Followers

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Personal Growth


The book I had on reserve at the library came in. I am reading The Law of Attraction, by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Now this book is one of the books that The Secret is based on. Remember, Rhonda Byrne researched many books about the law of attraction and packaged it up and marketed it as The Secret. She is quite open about saying that these laws are ancient.


Over 20 years ago, I read a book called, Guiding Yourself to a Spiritual Reality which talked about the very same thing. Just at that time, Oprah wasn't as far a long in her spiritual journey (or not publicly) to have such topics on her show. Now we have Dr. Oz talking about "energy" on mainstream TV.


Actually, there are many books on the subject the laws of attraction and the movie and book, What The Bleep Do We Know talks about them as well. Now that the concepts are becoming mainstream, businesses are taking them on and there is more of an emphasis about attracting money and success, but the law is about so much more than that. It tells us that we attract things that we don't want to us as well. I find it fascinating and I have a couple of stories to blog about when I get time. I attracted a couple of situations in my life unconsciously, but in hind site I could see exactly how they evolved.

It was about 28 years ago when I started doing a great deal of personal growth work. Reading, journaling, energy rings, women's groups. Sometimes I feel I should be much farther along, but in many ways I know that I didn't always want to grow even though I was doing the work. Does that make sense? Sometimes it was just plain easier to fall back into old habits and patterns and fit in with the mainstream. I never mentioned a word of my experieces to my family, who would not have understood. Only a couple of my friends knew what I was up to in my spare time, but for the most part it was not discussed, because there was no interest on their parts. Now they are all reading The Secret and it makes me chuckle to myself.


When Oprah began to have people like Gary Zukav, Bernie Siegel, M. Scott Peck on her show, I was beside myself with happiness as these were people I was so very interested in and had rare opportunities to see in person. A shift was happening as Oprah was starting her own journey and people were open to listening because she was so beloved and respected. She brought on Maryanne Williamson and she was the first one to pray on a national talk show program. Now she shares her Course in Miracles on the radio. So much as come around!


A lot of this is on my mind today, because of a dream I had last night of a therapist telling me that she was going to help me get the cancer out of me by asking me to stand outside and hold up signs to the cars passing by. I have no idea what the signs said, because I think I woke up before I had the chance to do it. But if I had to guess what those signs were to say, I think they would say that I have no more secrets and I refuse to hide what I believe to be true for myself and my journey.



5 comments:

Bill said...

I read your post and immediately the thought that "its not the destination, its the journey" popped into my head.

I wonder what those signs said. Maybe you'll have to program that dream again and see where it goes next.

mosiacmind said...

i will be interested how you like the books i am an avid reader myself........take care

Patty said...

It is a grand time we are living in right now isn't it?

As I continue to apply the Course in Miracles to my life things get easier and easier, and miracles flow all around me.

Mike said...

I read “Ask and It Is Given,” by Esther and Jerry Hicks, at the beginning of last year. I found it gave a very thorough description of the law of attraction and how to use it in one’s own life. My problem with using it is I'm not sure what I want to attract! LOL. You’ll have to let us know how "Law of Attraction" is.

I feel fortunate that I’ve always been able to talk to my mother about spiritual matters. We both started reading about Buddhism around the same time... then the Secret came out, and we’ve discussed those topics a lot since.

I do find that for me it is easier to read and talk about these subjects, than to actually incorporate the philosophy into my life. It’s like you said- it’s easy to fall back on old habits and ways of thinking and doing.

I enjoy hearing about your ongoing spiritual journey.

Lena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.