Followers

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The day

This morning we went to the funeral of our friend's husband. So sad. At the end of the mass, the priest led the congregation singing, God Bless America, because the deceased was a Veteran from WWII. The priest said that he knew it would please F. very much if we all sang it. I got very choked up and it was difficult to sing the song, but it was beautiful to hear.
We didn't go to the cemetery, because I needed to get back to work. It was hard making the transition from funeral to work, and one of my colleagues came in and talked to me for awhile. Then I had to dive in to my work and catch the day up.
I interviewed the sweetest girl today for our program. When she talked about how much she wanted to learn and how she loved every subject, her face lit up like a Christmas tree. I never met a child so happy about school. It made my day, because so many of the kids I see have struggled so hard with learning issues or mental problems that they just end up hating school.
The teachers are going to love having her, and just wait until they hear that she asked for lots of homework!

1 comment:

Mike said...

Music can be such a moving and beautiful part of funerals. Years ago at my grandmother’s funeral, my uncle got up and sang a song he had written for her. It was a wonderful song, yet so so sad.

It must be so refreshing to meet a student that is enthusiastic about school and learning. Good for her! I always loved books and learning, but I admit that I did not always look forward to homework.