Followers

Saturday, December 8, 2007

Miracle on Main Street

The is a true story that happened about 20 years ago when we took our children to see Santa Claus at a department store downtown.


We first took the kids to see the Festival of Lights which was held on Constitution Plaza every year. The whole plaza would be ablaze in white lights. At the time, it was the most elaborate Christmas light display around our area.


Later we walked to G. Fox and Company one of the biggest department stores downtown. Since so many people were walking around the city that evening enjoying the light display, it was odd to find G.Fox practically deserted.
What happened next is what our family calls the Christmas Miracle.


Since no one was in the store we decided to take the children to Santa's Workshop for their yearly visit with Santa. As we approached the workshop we were shocked to see that there was no line and no other children waiting to sit on Santa's lap. There was Santa all alone waiting for some children.


Our then 6 year old son Aaron, quite accustomed to the ritual, climbed right up onto Santa's lap. Our little 2 year old backed off, not knowing what to make of this big, bright, and fury man. He sure was an authentic looking Santa.


The first question Santa asked my son was, "What do you do to help out in your family?" I was a bit surprised by this approach and so was my son. As Aaron told Santa how he helped in the family, Santa lovingly patted his arm, gave him a gentle hug and said, "I love you." My son was beaming. After all, he had loved this man all of his life.


Santa then asked Aaron to do him a special favor. He told him that on Christmas Morning before he ran to see what was under the tree, he wanted him to first go to his parents and hug them for they loved him more than anything in the world. My son listened intently with his eyes big and wide, careful not to miss a word. Next Santa asked him to pray for all of the children in the world who were not as lucky as Aaron and did not have the love in their lives that he had.

My husband and I stood by. I had a huge lump in my throat and tears in my eyes, as did my husband. I kept looking at Santa trying to see a man behind the costume and found I couldn't separate them.


The very last thing Santa asked was,"What can I bring you to make your Christmas special?" Certainly this was the question my son had been preparing for!


When he finished talking Aaron jumped off of Santa's lap and came running over to us, bursting with excitement. He pulled me aside and said,"Mommy, I think this Santa is the real one." I agreed.


As we were leaving, my son noticed Santa's cane leaning in the corner behind Santa's big chair. "Look, Mommy and Daddy, his cane, just like in the movie, 'Miracle on 34th Street,' " he cried out.

Santa Claus had made our son's Christmas special by giving all of us the true spirit of Christmas. We just didn't expect to find it at G. Fox & Co.


6 comments:

josie2shoes said...

This story gave me goosebumps! What a wonderful Santa, and what a special memory for your family!

Mike said...

What a great story, in the true spirit of Christmas. How wonderful, a Santa that inspires feelings of gratitude in the hearts of young children.

Andrew said...

What a heartwarming story! Thank you for sharing this!

Cheryl said...

I'm glad I have a napkin next to me because I'm out in public and have tears running down my cheeks.

Moohaa said...

That gave me chills. How wonderful for your child to experience that. I bet it will stay with him forever!

Thanks for the face mask advice. It's something to think about if this happens again.

Santa Claus said...

I am glad I was able to make that moment in your life so meaningful and inspiring. Thank you for letting me know. So many children and so many parents... you never know how many you truly impact.

I hope you and your family have many more Christmas Miracles.