Followers

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Flash Back

I was thinking about my old Gratitude Journal today and tried to find it, but I couldn't seem to locate it. Hopefully, it will turn up at some point.

I remember one day sitting on my bed writing in it, and my son came over to me to see what I was doing. On that particular day I had written in the journal that I was grateful for what a wonderful day he was having that day and how his behavior was improving. He was pretty young at the time and had always been a very impulsive and extremely active child. At that point in time he had been giving me a run for my money.

When he found out that I had written about him in my gratitude journal, he was very excited, and proclaimed, “I feel like I just won an Oscar.”
I have to say, it was very cute and I was surprised that his reaction was so intense. But he found it very motivating to be on my list and decided that he wanted to make it again. So for awhile, he was trying especially hard to make good choices so that he would make it into my gratitude journal.

As far as parenting goes, sometimes it helps to go with the flow of the child, and it may surprise you where it leads!

2 comments:

josie2shoes said...

Hi Lena! Thanks for visiting my blog. Yours is great, and I'll be back for more. I enjoy reading about the daily lives of others! Awhile back I started keeping a list of daily things I'm thankful for on the sidebar of my blog. Did you notice it? Sometimes I have to work at things to put there, sometimes it comes easy, but it always reminds me that I do indeed have much to be thankful for!

Cheryl said...

My daughter and I started a shared journal about a year ago, and for about a week it was wonderful. Then she stopped, then me. You've inspired me to find it, write in it, and leave it out for her to find. I'd love to have that to share with her, even if it's only once in a while. I think I'll write about the thinks I admire in her.