Followers

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Turkey Day

It is over. Company has gone home, dishwasher humming along with first load of dirty dishes, and shoes are off! My dining room table is all cleared off from my grandmother's flowered china and my laptop is back in its familiar place. I am just about ready for bed.


Everything went off as planned and the day was fun. The fresh turkey we bought from Stew Leonard's was the best turkey that we have ever had. It just melted in your mouth.


The best part of the day is having both boys around. They are like their dad with their sense of humor and make me laugh so much.


My husband and the boys decided that it would be a great time to try to get some of their grandparents stories on tape. Their grandfather lived in London during the Blitz, and they got him talking about what it was like at that time in history. He was telling us about the shrapnel bouncing off his bicycle helmet as he rode his bike through the streets of London. He and the other students would all try to compete for who had been hit be the biggest pieces. He also told us how he had to take his University exams while bombs were being dropped on the city.


I listened trying hard to imagine his other life. The life he had before my husband was born, living in London, Switzerland, and Bermuda before coming to the states and settling down. Little did he know that one day he would have a son, who would marry me, a girl who never left the farm in good old New England.


We all enjoyed the stories and I don't think we have ever heard him talk quite so much about the past. The stories are now on tape for us to pass down to the next generation who will not get the opportunity to hear these stories in person.


1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I don't know why our family hasn't done the same. My father has an interesting story too, and lots of pictures. Maybe that's something we could do to celebrate his 80th birthday.