Followers

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Joni Mitchell

Woke up it was a Sunday morning and the first thing on my mind was that Joni was going to be on CBS Sunday Morning. Me and Joni go way back. Over 30 years ago I was about to be a blushing bride and as I planned my wedding, I decided that no one other than Joni Mitchell should sing at my wedding. I wrote her a letter to ask her if she would come and do just that.
Hey, I was 21 and naive about marriage and everything else for that matter. She never wrote me back, so I had to go to plan B. My brother -in-law had a friend who sang and played guitar so we hired her to sing that day. I wanted her to sing The Beatles song, In My Life, but I didn't like her arrangement, so instead we went with a Hoyt Axton song, I am Less Than the Song I am Singing. The chorus went something like this: So come stand by my side where I'm going, take my hand if I stumble to fall, it's the strength that we share when we're growing that gives me what I need most of all. Gives me what I need most of all.
Ours was not typical wedding song, but it fit who we were at the time, and it continues to hold true for us 32 years later.
Anyways, back to Joni... so I loved her albums and sat many a night in the dark in my room at my parent's house with the record player blaring so loudly, my father would yell for me to turn it down.
I have been meaning to go to Starbucks to buy her new CD Shine since it came out, but never seem to get there. In the spring my boss gave us gift cards to Starbucks and since I don't drink coffee, I used it to purchase the CD.
So here I am on a Sunday night, writing on my blog, and listening to a new CD of Joni. She sounds divine and the music gives me healing chills. I haven't bought a new CD in forever, and it is so much more than a treat... it is an absolute necessity for the soul.
My husband introduced me to Joni back in high school as well as many other vocalists and bands. I was a Pop 40 girl when he met me and he turned me on to the deeper things in life.
In the interview this morning Joni said she was done with music a few years back, but after a while the songs for this CD came to her leading her to return to recording.
Joni is inspiring on all levels, I am in awe of her and since I have been a fan for so long, I am very proud of her.

1 comment:

Bill said...

What a guy, that husband of yours. Funny that Starbucks is the purveyor of CDs now but I guess it is no more corporate than Columbia Records.