Followers

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Sunday dinner retake

There is a certain serenity that Sunday gives me. I think it is the routine of going over to my parents house, the house where I grew up, and having all the family around. I like to hang out there for Sunday dinner and not have to worry about being anywhere else. My mother makes her tomato sauce and every week she will tell us that next week she will make something different. We all beg her not to, because her sauce is our comfort food, and we come seeking that comfort as well. I know my parents look forward all week to having us come over and now at this point in my life, I look forward to it as well.
There was a time many years ago, when the expectation of having to be at Sunday dinner every week was just a burden. If I didn't make it, I would feel that horrible Italian guilt. When I was younger, I took so much for granted. Now older and wiser, I go there because I want to be there, and I have a deep appreciation for family ties.
My niece was home from New York for the holiday, so it was great to have her back for Sunday dinner. I remember when she first went away to school, she would call on Sunday and we would pass the phone talking to her and she would be so sad not to be with us. My son said that he thinks of us all over there on Sundays when he is away at school as well. It is a day that we are all together in our hearts even when we are not together.
So my posts on Sundays are pretty much the same. And that is just the way I like it.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Your experiences on Sundays reminds me of doing the same with my grandmother when I was a young man. She would always cook a pot roast with potatoes and carrots. We would eat a big lunch and then retire to the various bedrooms and her wrap around screened in porch to take a long summer's afternoon nap. I miss her dearly, and I am glad you are not taking these get togethers for granted. Take care, Lena!

Cheryl said...

I love the idea of the family being together every week, and wanting to be there. My family is so dysfunctional!

Have you ever been to Mary's blog?

http://maryspathways.blogspot.com/

She has her family over every Sunday, and I love 'sharing' that day with her every week.