Followers

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Saturday night is all right

After I got my closet and room all organized, I made an appointment at the mall for a manicure. I am not much for getting my nails done, but decided that I could use the lift today. The manicurist is a very interesting woman. She came to American from Poland only 4 years ago and has learned English and settled into the American way of life. I loved relaxing while she did my nails and shared the challenges she and her family faced as they bravely came to a brand new country and began to make a new life for themselves. They made many sacrifices to come here and I admire people who have the courage to take that leap of faith for a better life.
After my nails were done, I decided to venture out into the mall and to my surprise it was all decked out for Christmas. The Hickory Farms Kiosk was all set up in its usual holiday spot and as I walked further I noticed that Santa was center court seeing the children. I don't remember Santa being at the mall this early when my kids were little, but hey that was years and years ago. I guess it is true that Christmas festivities start earlier every year.
My husband hates the mall so much that he pretty much refuses to go unless there is something he needs and it is the only place he can purchase it. I can't say I am a lover of malls, but sometimes when I am feeling isolated I enjoy going to the mall and walking around. I feel energized by the crowds of people (as long as there aren't massive crowds and long lines)and I find my mood is improved. Usually I run into at least one person I know, although I didn't see anyone familiar this evening.
I wondered around a little bit and started to think about Christmas shopping, knowing full well that I wouldn't actually start shopping until I am done with Thanksgiving. But it was still fun to look even though I didn't stay too long.
When I got home, my husband had dinner on the table. It is so great that he enjoys cooking because he is a really good cook. He is especially good at stir-frying. Tonight another chicken stir-fry with broccoli, onions, celery, carrots, mangoes, and cranberries on top of whole wheat pasta.
YUM-O

No comments: