Followers

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Sunday night and all is family

My husband's mother collapsed the other day and ended up in the hospital undergoing all sorts of tests to see what caused this incident. She is home now with a newly diagnosed condition, but it is manageable and she will be OK.
We are what is called the sandwich generation, baby boomers with elderly parents and our own grown children all of whom need our attention and support.
Both sets of parents are well into their 80's and are in relatively good enough health to be living in their homes and leading independent lives for the most part, but they still need lots of looking in on and a fair amount of help with household chores. We feel so lucky to have both sets of parents able to be in their own homes and still able to enjoy so many memory making family gatherings.
So today was a day to catch up with both sides of the family. We did some grocery shopping for the in-laws and spent a little while at their house. Then we drove across town to have lunch with my family and help out with some chores for my dad. While my husband was down the cellar doing the chores, my dad stood at the top of the stairs in his walker calling down to him. I was a bit nervous with him so close to the top of the stairs being so unsteady on his feet, but I didn't say a word to him. I know he wanted to go down stairs so badly to help out my husband. My dad misses doing those simple house hold chores for himself. He is tired of sitting around all day, not being as productive as he used to be.
We did our best to visit and help out with both sides of the family, and give them some company. We know that although our parents have their spouses, it still gets lonely for the both of them all week and they love when any of us "kids" come over to visit.
So now I am back at home to get ready for the work week. I have my lunch already made and now I will spend time doing the laundry for the week.
I don't know why on some of my posts, that the spaces between the paragraphs don't hold when I publish. My blog looks sloppy and I don't know how to fix it.

No comments: