Followers

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Doggie park



I have been home a couple of days now and have tried to catch up on house stuff and I also lounged quite a bit reading a novel called, Flowers in the Attic, by V.C. Andrews. It is a creepy sort of story about some children locked away in the attic, but it was also quite a page turner. I believe it was made into a movie, but I never saw it. I discovered that there are a couple of sequels to it and I have one of them on hold at the library already. I don't usually like creepy stories and if I have bad dreams tonight, I will cancel the hold! LoL.

This morning we went to the dog park to visit with my son and his friends and our grand-dog, as we like to call him. There is Tucker on the left. Dog parks are becoming all the rage on the East coast now. Since the swimming season is over for the summer, the Humane Society was charging $5.00 to let the dogs run free on the beach and swim in the pond, and their owners have to pay $1.00. All the money benefits the Humane Society, and they bring in dogs that they want to find homes for, so some good matches are made.

I was sitting reading my book and a beautiful Golden Retriever came and dropped his ball in front of me and barked at me until I picked it up and threw it for him to fetch. So he kept coming over to me dropping his ball for me to throw. One time, the ball rolled underneath the bench. My friend was behind the bench at the time and she picked it up and gave it to me to throw for the dog. Well, the dog didn't chase the ball this time. Instead, he looked at it and then he walked behind the bench to see if the ball was still there. When he realized that his ball wasn't there, he ran to fetch it realizing it was the one I threw.

I am guessing because he didn't see me pick up the ball, he didn't think it was the ball he dropped. I was impressed that he only wanted to fetch his ball. A very smart dog.
It was fun to watch the dogs all running free and playing together, even though at times we got a soaking when they were shaking themselves dry.

4 comments:

Patty said...

Sounds like the perfect summer day. Thanks for sharing it with us.

jAMiE said...

What fun...i'd like to just go hang out in the dog park to be around the dogs...but i bet that would be weird...i miss having a dog!

Moohaa said...

Sounds like a fun day! I love dogs!

Flowers in the Attic is a bit depressing and dark, but intriguing at the same time. The sequels are as good and dark. I read them a couple of times.

Biddie said...

The was awful. The book is much better. I have been reading VC Andrews since I was about 11. It is a guilty pleasure.
Cute pups :)