Followers

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Over the hump day

I am sitting out on the deck after supper and it is actually chilly enough for a jacket. Just a reminder that summer is fading away.

I went back to work this week after 2 weeks away and it felt good to be back. I enjoyed diving right in and getting things accomplished. The students come back next Tuesday, so we were all busy with orientation and getting the place all spruced up. So many new staff to get to know.

In my job, I go back and forth between 4 buildings so I don't work side by side with enough of the folks long enough to really get to know them so their names don't stick with me. Every year we grow bigger, and I didn't even master the all the names from last year yet. I have to figure out a way to remember every one's name! It is embarrassing to be walking down the hall and need to call out to someone and go blank when it comes to their name.

Other news:

My son's girlfriend was bitten by a dog the other day. It is so ironic because we were all at the dog park in the morning with about 70 dogs running loose, all behaving and not one incident with any of the dogs.

Later in the day, after playing tennis she was walking to her car and a dog on a leash came over to her. When she gently put her hand out to let the dog smell her hand, (as the dog whisperer says to do) the dog bit her. The owner started yelling at her and when she lifted her arm and saw blood dripping down, the owner ran away with his dog. He fled off to the condo buildings across the street.

Unfortunately, now she has to get all the shots for rabies. She had 6 the first time at the hospital and is on a schedule to go back for more. The police are on the look out for the guy and the dog, but I doubt they will find them.

It is hard to believe that someone would run off like that and he was an an older person, not a kid.

I admire how well she is handling the situation, and although the shots are not pleasant, thank goodness there are shots available to cover all the risks involved.

Well, it is cold enough now to go inside and make a hot cup of tea and maybe I will finally make some zucchini bread.

7 comments:

Moohaa said...

I'm glad going back to work has been a pleasant experience. That's always a good thing!

I can't believe that guy ran off! I would feel horrible if my animal did that. Geez, I hope she is ok!!

jAMiE said...

I hope she is okay too...but glad she is getting the shots needed. Can't believe the fella just ran off like that, not nice at all. I wonder if the dog has bitten before.

Mmmm, zucchini bread, yummy!

Sona said...

I can believe it. The dog would most likely be destroyed and the owner held criminally and civilly liable.

Running is cheaper and he gets to keep the dog.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'm really glad that you felt good about going back to work. I'm starting a few days off from writing and hope it has the same effect.

What a horrible experience for your son's girlfriend. I wonder if the dog has bit someone before. Here, dogs are destroyed after the second offense. What an irresponsible dog owner and citizen that guy was. I hope the police find him.

Cheryl said...

I hope the dog and owner are found. What a coward! And your son's girlfriend the unlucky victim. So sorry.

I'm so busy at work that I don't get to socialize with most of my co-workers. I'd like to do that, but we just exchange pleasantries. It's just the way it is. I'm glad for you that it was good to be back.

Patty said...

We just decided to put our (15 y/o) dog Ben down. Having been a rescue dog he was always somewhat testy with people, but had been getting more and more snapish when someone would simply walk by. He was also having some other health problems, but just the thought of him biting someone (even if he did have all his shots) was enough for us to tip the balance towards ending his unhappy life.

Thinking lots of good, healing thoughts for your son's friend.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

How truly terrible! And for the man to run away....I bet he has had a problem with the dog biting people before!

I've never tasted Zuccini Bread....It sounds like it would be quite yummy!