Followers

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

More museums




In the garden at Hildene



Hildene - home of Robert Todd Lincoln



The marble quarry



Today we spent the morning at the Bennington Museum home of the Grandma Moses collection as well as antique furniture, glassware, pottery, etc. I enjoyed this museum quite a bit and especially loved the Grandma Moses wing.

Later we drove over to Dorset and hung out at the nation's oldest quarry, which happens to be all marble. It is beautiful spot and if it had been warmer out today, we would have taken a swim. But it was good to just lounge in a chair and read.

On the way home we took a wrong turn (and we were glad we did) and ended up on the road to Hildene, the summer home of Robert Todd Lincoln (Abe's son). So we decided to go and take the tour. It is a beautiful home and the scenery breath-taking, as noted in the pictures above.

Something about the hills of Vermont that make me swell with emotion. I love them and I always feel sad when we head back to the flatlands. We will be back soon when we take our son to school in a couple of weeks, so it won't be long until we meet again.




6 comments:

Moohaa said...

It looks so lovely! I can't wait to make it to the east coast some day.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Oh, Hildene. I would love to go there. I wrote a short story about Robert Todd Lincoln once.

Your photographs are beautiful and restful.

Cheryl said...

I've loved 'coming along' with you on your vacation. I'm surprised by the size of Lincoln's mansion. Loved your Bits of Bennington. Very unique. Enjoy the rest of your trip. Are things OK with your dad? I'm sure he's being well taken care of.

Diane Vogel Ferri said...

Beautiful shots - I wish we were in driving distance of the mountains because they're my favorite view.

Lena said...

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for asking about my dad. He is doing better. The VNA and Home Health aid are coming in a couple of times a week.

I called him everyday from our trip and he was happy that I did.

jAMiE said...

I was wondering about your dad too, thank you Cheryl for asking...glad he is doing well.

Pics are lovely...

ps i think i read that VC Andrews book...i think it was creepy too..but i don't remember much about it..i hope you don't have nightmares.