Followers

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Mass MoCA











This afternoon we stopped in the MASS MoCA. The Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art. It is always an interesting place to spend an afternoon. I tend to enjoy the text based exhibits best and they only had one today. Sometimes I don't always know why some particular installation resonates with me, and many of them I just don't get.

My favorite installation today was Jenny Holzer Projections. It was displayed in a gallery that is the length of a football field. Holzer medium is language and has been doing text based work since the 1970's.

In this particular indoor installation the text will change through out the exhibition. Holzer creates an immersive environment by using two projectors on opposite walls facing each other. The words scroll like the credits at the end of a movie, and they expand and contract and change their order. The meaning can change depending on your perspective. People can walk through the gallery and also sit on gigantic bean bag chairs scattered through out the gallery to watch.

We took some pictures sitting on the bean bag chairs in the middle of the gallery and some pictures sitting on the stairs at the very beginning of the installation.
It was a very tempting for young children not to run and jump on the bean bags, so they kept the museum staff rather busy!
Enjoy.








3 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I am slightly familiar with Jenny Holzers work, and I must say...It dose nothing for me. I understand that she is attempting to say something, but...well, it is just not something that gets to me or moves me.....And that IS what makes Horse Racing, as they say....!

jAMiE said...

A little over my head...but i enjoyed hearing about it...take care.

Lena said...

Oh yes, most of it is over my head, too. But it is fun to go visit and try to figure it out.

And it was fun sitting in those huge bean bag chairs!