Followers

Monday, August 11, 2008

Home sweet home

For a vacation day, I woke up early. I had to go to an eye doctor appointment before I picked up my dad and I was worried that it would run over and I would be late picking him up. Although the nurse told me to take my time and they would do the paperwork when I got there, I knew he would be anxious to leave (who could blame him) so I wanted to be there as close to 11:00 A.M. as possible.

So I had my appointment, but the eye doctor wanted to do a field vision test, which would have taken another half hour. I said I couldn't stay so I am going back on Wednesday to take that test.
I rushed off to the rehab and arrived around 11:04 A.M. Mom was already there and she was done with the discharge and he was ready to leave. I was concerned because Mom's hearing is not very good and I wanted to make sure we both understood all the instructions. But I was clearly too late (4 minutes). Seems he was so anxious to leave that he called her all morning long until she came early.

So we weren't home for an hour yet and I had to call the nurse from the rehab center. He came home with so many medications and instructions. My poor mom couldn't remember them all. Had I been there when everything was discussed, I would have taken copious notes. I felt foolish calling the nurse so soon after he left, but she was very nice. I suppose that must happen all the time. It is over whelming to be a caretaker especially with unfamiliar new medications. Even though there was a list, not all the meds name on the list and the names on the packages matched. My mom and I aren't nurses, we didn't know! I don't know how they expect people to remember everything.

I was annoyed that I left the eye Dr. early and then didn't end up being there for the discharge information, but I didn't say a word. I knew he just wanted out. I should have just rescheduled and not tried to do both. At least I was there to help him up the stairs and into the house and run to the drug store to get him other things he needed.

I will stop in and check on them on Wednesday, when I return to the eye doctor.

Tomorrow I have a lunch date with a good friend of mine.




3 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I don't blame you for being frustrated.

I hope you enjoy your lunch date.

Diane Vogel Ferri said...

Bless you for being so good to your parents - I know it's hard.

Moohaa said...

I'm so glad you are there for them. Thanks for checking in on me. I'm back!