Followers

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Later in the day

The husband and I visited Dad tonight and he seemed to be settling in nicely. He was raving, actually raving about how wonderful the staff was treating him and how hard they are working. I was glad to get that positive feedback about the place as I knew that if he was feeling comfortable with the staff, he would let his guard down.

So after we left him, we stopped back at the house to see my mother and my husband was able to tend to the garden that dad has planted for the summer. Dad swears he won't go near it again, as that is where he was when he fell to the ground.

My sister wants to plow it under so that he won't go try to work in it. I don't agree. He loves his garden and even if he can't work in it, he will still enjoy what he can reap from it. I think that he will not take any chances as he does not want to end up in the hospital and go through this ordeal ever again.



4 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

What good news that he is adjusting. I'm so glad to hear it.

jAMiE said...

I too am gald to hear he is settling in...good for him, he sounds like he's being a very pleasant patient. Bless him!

I think it would be traumatic for your dad to plow under his garden...let him enjoy as you say, by what he can reap from it. Good idea!

Forsythia said...

I agree with Jamie. The garden is your dad's, and any attempt to protect him by plowing it under would probably backfire. I've learned from my mother how hard it is for old folks to let things go. In Mom's case, it was tons of clothes that she knew she would never wear again. They were size 10 and she had shrunk to a size 6. Still she held on to them, filling one of our spare closets. Perhaps she thought she'd regain that weight. After a couple of years, she was ready to let them go. Your dad already said he won't go near his garden, but he can enjoy the fruits of his labors.

Cheryl said...

You must be so relieved! I agree with you about the garden. Gardening was so important to your dad. It can be plowed under if necessary, but what's the rush?

Hope your day is a great one.